The Moye Family

The Moye Family

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Miss Daphne Kendall has Arrived!!

So Precious!
Daphne's Birth Story:

Bright and early we arrived to the hospital on Thursday the 15th to begin the induction process and bringing Daphne into the world. I was surprised at how quickly everything fell together and I am thankful for that. I must say that was the theme of the entire hospital stay for us: quick and efficient!  I chose to have my water broke first by  Dr. Ott, and that was NOT a pleasant experience. Then again I suppose much of the labor process would not be considered pleasant :).  She had a difficult time breaking my water leaving me nervous that it was not going to happen. After much trying it did FINALLY break only to be followed by Daphne not appreciating the intrusion. Her heart rate decided to drop so I was bedridden for the first 20 minutes until her heart rate became stable. At that point we were finally allowed up and able to walk around. Jeff was a fantastic walking partner as we made approximately 6 to 7 laps throughout the hospital. Good news? I did start contracting more! Bad news? No, I did not dilate any further than a 3 during this time.

Bring on the Pitocin!

At this point my anxiety started to get to me a bit because I quickly remember what happened when I got Pitocin with Jude; strong pains that come on forcefully! Once again as with Jude, Daphne was very finicky with how I was positioned so I was stuck on my right side just to maintain her heart rate. It didn't take long for the contractions to get more painful although they never seemed to remain consistent. I could have contractions just 2 minutes apart and then would not get another one for 5 minutes. Some were definitely stronger than others as well. Unfortunately, I started to feel most of the contractions in my lower back. I have always been warned of back labor and how awful it was, and I must say those warnings were spot on! Needless to say the back labor helped me to make the decision quickly on an epidural. I know how my body and my mind works and I was never going to relax enough with this pain to dilate to a decent amount in a swift amount of time. I did NOT want to do what I did with Jude and tire myself out waiting and waiting to dilate enough. The epidural quickly sped things up with him; I just prayed it would happen for her too.

The epidural was administered around noon and thankfully they let Jeff stay with me during that time unlike with Jude. At this point I just wanted to nap and relax and hope my body would just do it's job. I was dilated to a 5, and figured I still had all afternoon before anything would happen :). Jeff proceeded to leave for a bit to grab some food and talk to the family knowing we had plenty of time to kill. When Jeff returned he sat down to eat and I had yet to fall asleep but I was relaxed. While in the middle of trying to eat his burger, I noticed that Daphne's heart rate was becoming erratic Jeff assumed my belt had slipped and was trying to reposition it but with no avail. The nurse comes in at this time immediately asking if I felt any pressure and checking for dilation. I remember what the pressure felt like with Jude and I was absolutely not feeling a thing. I still just wanted to sleep! As she began to check her response was a good indication that I would not be resting anytime soon. She said Daphne's erratic heart rate gave her a hunch that I was most likely ready to push. We started with a practice push just to see how ready I was, and apparently it worked. She gave Dr. Ott a call and informed us that our baby would be on the way shortly! I couldn't help but to laugh at Jeff's response when he asked her how much time we had. She looked at the clock (it read 1:10) and informed us that Daphne would be here at 1:25. Jeff's face was in shock (I think he was more upset that he wouldn't get to finish his lunch though)! He left to tell the family what was about to happen leaving me afraid that he was not going to make it back time; Dr. Ott was there quicker than I would have ever expected and we were ready to go!

I could not believe Daphne was about to make appearance and I was fully aware this time. With Jude I was so beyond tired that I almost felt like I wasn't even a part of his delivery.  I was so mindful of what was about to occur, that I started shaking with nerves. Uncontrollable nerves! Ready or not it was time! I started pushing at 1:20 and Miss Daphne was here at 1:22. Unbelievable!

6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches long



Jeff and I spent the next 2 hours alone with Daphne holding her skin to skin. She was already showing her personality and true colors my pooping on me as soon as she was given to me. I'm sure it was quite a sight to see with her yet to be cleaned up, both of us covered in poop, and her learning to nurse! On a positive note, she came out rooting enabling me to nurse her right away. She was a pro from the start! After that we quickly realized that she must have been sucking her fingers and thumb in the womb as she was sucking her thumb at just a few minutes old! We had to end up giving her the paci the next day just to satisfy her beyond nursing. Family started to trickle in and she was showered with much attention!

First Family Photo

Jude loved Daphne from the beginning!
The rest of our time in the hospital was truly relaxing (as relaxing as possible with almost hourly nurse visits). We got to give Daphne her first bath that evening and then we both actually slept some that night! Where Jude refused to be swaddled, Daphne loved it. Where Jude refused to sleep at night, Daphne loved to sleep! Amazing how opposite they are already. We had some wonderful visitors the next day and gifts from loved ones as well.

Daphne passed all of her screenings and tests allowing us to go home Saturday at the 48 hour mark. I was so ready. I really needed to see and feel the sun!

First Bath


Jude in his Christmas outfit 1 day old
Daphne in her Halloween outfit 1 day old


Ready to head home!

Already a Daddy's girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment